Happy Local Food Week, everyone!
What are your reasons to love local? Here are ten of ours:
- We like food that hasn’t been riding on a truck from thousands of miles away.
- Local food production helps our economy.
- We believe that rural communities are an important part of Ontario’s past and future.
- Ontario’s farmland should be cherished, productive and protected, not gobbled up by urban sprawl while we eat food from afar.
- Direct local sales venues like farmers’ markets are great incubators for small local businesses.
- Farmers’ markets offer tremendous variety, including heirloom vegetables with unbeatable flavour instead of ones selected to withstand long shipping distances.
- We love meeting the people who grow and make our food and learning from them.
- Farmers’ markets bring local communities together.
- Strong demand for what they produce gives farmers a reason to look ahead with hope.
- IT JUST TASTES SO GOOD!
Come on out to a farmers’ market this week and taste our fresh local harvests!